Our Chance to Really Show Off Stone Soup is passionate about the art of catering. Accepting only a select number of events allows co-owners Avery Rifkin and Tim Elliott to handle every detail personally and ensure the success of your event.
Avery and Tim will help you create a custom menu that uses local ingredients and highlights your favorite foods. Then they source the freshest ingredients and prepare and cook an amazing feast on site. Our enthusiastic and professional staff makes sure your every need is met and your occasion is memorable.
The Details Stone Soup is a full-service insured and licensed catering company. We can negotiate for event sites, tents, linens, china, flatware and glasses or refer you to the vendors you need.
For large groups of up to 200 people we can offer passed or stationary appetizers, buffet dinner, bar service and desserts. For smaller groups
of 8 – 25 people, we can offer intimate tasting menus paired with wines.
We also host private events at our downtown Burlington restaurant for parties of 8-50 people.
Our Cooking Style Stone Soup is known for its extraordinary vegetarian cuisine, but we love to cook for everyone. Our creative style allows us to serve vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores alike. Gluten-free dishes are a regular part of our repertoire. We are as passionate about seared shiitake mushrooms over steamed kale with umi plum vinegar as we are about traditional Italian cioppino, braised local ox tails with barley pilaf or Moroccan chicken tagine.
Our Serving Style Instead of serving plated dinners, we love to create gorgeous displays of stationary appetizers and pass around delightful arrays of hors d’oeuvres. This is the best way to impress guests with our bold and fresh flavors.
Our Bar We encourage guests to sample different varietals and broaden their palate. At each event, we showcase 8- 10 red wines, 6- 8 white wines and 8- 10 beers. Try these or our homemade ice teas and natural sodas. A world of flavor awaits!
Popular Dishes Every event catered by Stone Soup is unique. Here are some examples items that have delighted our guests:
- Cold citrus soup
- Seared shittake mushrooms with steamed kale and umi plum vinegar
- Cast-iron rustica with roasted garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, olives,
and olive oil
- Autumn salad with arugula, mustard greens, parsnips, butternut squash, cranberries, and goat cheese
- Braised LaPlatte beef brisket with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and
- Fish soup with fresh fish, homemade fish stock, and saffron
- Chicken with collard greens, crispy chicken skins, habenero, garlic and schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- Vermont cheese board featuring cheeses from Barnwell, Doe’s Leap, Willow Hill, Taylor Farms, Crawford Family Farms, Boucher Farms,
and many more
- Phyllo triangles with French lentils, spinach, reduced balsamic vinegar
and feta cheese
- Crostini with goat cheese and beech mushrooms deglazed with
- Latkes of potato, turnip, scallion, and smoked paprika with a
selection of sauces
- Elephant bean salad with parsley, thyme, oregano, lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil
- Traditional and vegan sushi
- Seared tuna with a crust of coriander seed, cumin seed, peppercorns, and fennel seed, served with mirin
- Malasian shrimp with lime, coriander, walnuts, tamari, lemongrass,
- Vegetarian and non-vegetarian antipasti platters
- Seared tenderloin with coffee crust, sliced thin
- Grilled Thai chicken with cilantro, nan pla
- Butternut squash wantons with roasted red pepper dipping sauce
- Housemade pakoras of sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and parsnip with
fresh raita sauce
- Curried squash dumplings with coconut crust
- Steamed buns with a variety of fillings: pork belly and pickled cucumbers; fresh mozzarella and eggplant pesto; seared tuna, capers and horseradish; pastrami and mustard; brisket and mashed potatoes; seitan, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese
- Mini-burgers with homegrown onion sprouts
- Red snapper fish cakes with beet remoulade
- Seared salmon squares with an Indonesian sauce of red curry paste, coconut milk, and coriander
- Israeli salad with avocado, cucumbers, red onion, olive oil, and tahini
- Carrot-arame salad with seared carrots, arame, sesame oil, rice vinegar, scallions, and black sesame seeds
- Wheatberry salad with dried fruit, fresh herbs,
and an orange-honey vinaigrette
- Beef bourguignon with local LaPlatte Farm beef, red wine, shittake mushrooms, and parsnips
- Moroccon chicken tagine with local Misty Knoll chicken, apricots,
cous cous, red peppers, butternut squash, olives, cilantro, and cardamon
- Grilled Indonesian shrimp with fish sauce, Szechuan peppercorns,
- Seared Brussels sprouts with sun-dried tomato pesto
- Coconut curry quinoa pie with red quinoa, sweet potatoes, maple syrup, leeks, ginger, and curry spices
- Seitan red curry with roasted eggplant, roasted zucchini, red peppers and coconut milk with spiced basmati rice
- Tofu pot pie with herb gravy, seasonal vegetables,
and an herbed pastry crust
- Spinach and mushroom wild rice with fresh spinach, crimini mushrooms, brown rice, pecorino romano, and Shelburne Farms cheddar
“I can’t tell you how many of our guests have complimented your delicious, creative food. Not your usual hotel food offerings like so many weddings we’ve attended. Beyond the food was your wonderful style and enthusiasm, which was reassuring to us and noticed by everyone. Your attention to detail and thoughtful planning contributed enormously to the success of the wedding.”
“We can’t thank you enough for making our dream wedding a wonderful, beautiful reality! The food, service, decoration, EVERYTHING was PERFECT!”
- Mark and Megan
“While I am not a vegetarian - nor were most in attendance - all I could hear were rave reviews on everything from presentation to service to taste. ... Thank you for all you did to make our child’s wedding a wonderful, delicious and memorable evening.”
“Not only was the food delicious, the presentation was fantastic! Most importantly, your staff was friendly, informative, and hard working. In short, it was perfect!”
- Al and Joan
“Thanks again for not only the food and all its preparation, but for your spirit and energy as well. You are an amazing conjurer of joyous edibles and warm feelings - and they are so closely related.”
“I wish a photographer from a glossy food magazine had been there. The setting, the style of the wedding and the food all complimented each other.”
“The food and ambiance were fabulous and friends and relatives are still raving about the spread. ... You are a true professional at catering and it shows in the fruits of your labor. We are still savoring every last morsel.”
- Linda and Jeff
Please call (802) 862-7616 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We’d love to hear about your event!